Nothing makes the holidays feel more like the holidays than cutting down your own Christmas tree! Throughout November and December, many Connecticut farms even offer additional activities to make the experience even more memorable — from wagon rides to the fields and tree-trimming shops to hot chocolate and visits from Santa’s helpers. So dress warm, bring your kids and your dog (on a leash, of course) and visit a few of these Connecticut Christmas tree farms.
Mystic Country & Eastern Connecticut
- At Allen Hill Farm in Brooklyn, you can take a hayride and enjoy hot mulled cider as you hunt for the perfect Christmas tree.
- Hickory Ridge Tree Farm in Coventry is a scenic spot with 50 acres of trees. It’s also a great place to get kissing balls, birch logs, boughs, wreaths and other holiday décor.
- Maple Lane Farms in Preston offers 50 acres of cut-your-own trees, plus decorated wreaths, undecorated wreaths, kissing balls, garlands and complimentary hot chocolate and cookies on weekends.
- At Evergreen Acres Tree Farm in Colchester, you can choose your tree from a wide selection, and even purchase a living tree to plant in your own yard after the holidays. Warm up with hot chocolate and lollipops for the kids on weekends.
- Voluntown’s Hartikka Tree Farm enjoys a unique annual tradition — tailgating! Some people bring their grills and make an afternoon of it.
Greater Hartford & The Connecticut River Valley
- The Dzen Family Christmas Tree Farm of South Windsor offers over 100 acres of Cut Your Own Christmas trees. This year, they unveil a new sleigh and a few reindeer, too. Look for the little red welcome center at the end of the driveway.
- Find Fraser Fir and Blue Spruce Christmas trees at Rose’s Berry Farm in South Glastonbury, along with fresh baked goods, wreaths, cider, pies and more.
- At East Haddam’s Staehly Farm, you’ll find acres of Christmas trees to choose from, as well as a Christmas shop offering hot chocolate and chocolate covered marshmallows too. Dogs are welcome on a leash.
- Charlie Brown’s Christmas Tree Farm in East Hampton grows trees much larger than Charlie Brown’s, but you’ll find the same sweet family experience, from the warm cabin in the woods to weekend visits with Santa.
The Litchfield Hills
- A family business since 1746, Averill Farm in Washington Depot offers cut-your-own trees, cider, wreaths and much more.
- At the Holiday Farm in New Hartford, once your tree is cut, you can enjoy a scenic tractor ride to the top of the hill where your tree will be wrapped for easy transport home.
- Angevine Farm in Warren features a Christmas Barn with activities, tree trimmings snacks and even visits from Santa.
- There’s a little Christmas shop at Maple Hollow Farm in New Hartford that sells décor, and the farm’s popular hostess baskets.
- Make it one of your stops at the family-focused Windswept Tree Farm in New Milford.
- Sit by the fire to warm up and enjoy cookies and hot apple cider before or after your hunt for the perfect tree at Castle Hill Farm, in Newtown.
- Enjoy a hayride into the fields, sip hot chocolate and apple cider, and meet the oxen who live at the farm when you come search for the perfect tree at Maple Row Farm in Easton.
- Combine Christmas tree hunting and wine tasting at Jones Family Farm in Shelton. Kids will love exploring the acres and acres of trees, and each family will take home a special dated pewter ornament as a keepsake.
- At Fairview Tree Farm in Shelton you can search for your tree and have it wrapped, loaded and tied onto your car! Don’t miss the Christmas Shoppe, for a selection of ornaments and décor.
Greater New Haven
- The Saturday after Thanksgiving kicks off Christmas tree season with a Real Tree Christmas Opening Day at Miller Tree Farm in Durham. Festivities include warm cider and cookies.
- Enjoy hayrides, cookies and mulled cider at Pinchbeck’s Tree Farm in Guilford, or visit Hamden’s Broken Arrow Nursery for hundreds of cut-your-own trees to choose from, as well as their unique handmade wreaths.
- Saws and tree carts are provided at Winterberry Farm in Killingworth, as well as hot chocolate and a shop filled with wreaths, candles and other Christmas treasures.
- Gifts, wreaths, garland and swags are available for purchase in the gift barn at Joseph’s Tree Farm in Hamden, where you can warm up by the wood burning stove and have a complimentary hot chocolate.
Before You Go — Cut-Your-Own Christmas Tree Tips
- Dress for Success. Wear layers depending on the weather, and consider that you may be outside for some time, so wear good boots. Bring gloves that are for warmth and heavy enough to handle a tree’s prickly needles.
- Measure Your Space. Use a tape measure to check the height of the ceiling and the width of the space where the tree will go, so you can find one that’s a perfect fit. (Don’t forget to bring the tape measure with you to the farm!)
- Check Your Stand. Make sure you have a stand that will fit your tree, as well. Measure the diameter of the opening to ensure that the trunk will fit without stripping off the bark.
- Pack a Few Supplies. Pack twine and/or rope, plus an old blanket or plastic tarp. You can bring your favorite saw, or most places have saws they can lend you. Power saws are a no-no for liability reasons.
- Bring Your Pooch. Be sure to bring a leash, waste bags and maybe a small water dish for your four-legged friend. Most Christmas tree farms welcome well-behaved dogs.
- Find Your Farm! You’ll find great, locally-run cut-your-own Christmas tree farms all over the state of Connecticut. Visit the Department of Agriculture’s Christmas Tree Farm listings to find one near you.
Shop Local, Shop on Connecticut Roundup!
Subscribe to The Connecticut Roundup
Subscribe to the Roundup, along with over 250,000 other subscribers!
Items on Sale
5.5″ Solid Wood Cat Bridge PerchProduct on sale
LIMITED: X-Large 100 Lbs Pet Wooden CrateProduct on sale
LIMITED BUNDLE DEAL: Handmade Natural Area Rug & Wicker BasketProduct on sale
Half Off: Elegant Cambridge Dog SofaProduct on sale
Popular: Large Wood Pet CrateProduct on sale
Briarwood Collection 9″ Cat PerchProduct on sale
POPULAR: Copper Non-Slip Indoor Boot TrayProduct on sale
SALE: 2′ 2 x 6′ Coffee Shop Runner RugProduct on sale
Unique Must Have Decorative ADA Compliant Fire ExtinguisherProduct on sale