Roundup Recipes is a new weekly look at recipes from our local viewers. The feature will be completely reader submitted. Everyone loves food and Millions take pride in it from a family of one to a large family of craziness. Roundup Recipes will give local people the opportunity to share their family favorites with readers of the Roundup. You can send your recipes to be considered here. Please send a picture to email@example.com. Your name and the recipe name will be given full credit.
Jean M. from Bristol said “Because Christmas is right around the corner, I thought sharing this oldie-but-goodie – my lightened up Shepherd’s Pie, filled with lean ground beef, veggies, and topped with my skinny yukon gold mashed potatoes would be perfect for all you meat and potato lovers out there! This is so comforting and filling, it doesn’t taste light!”
- 1-1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans, baby lima beans)
- 2 tbsp flour (or use GF flour)
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in a medium pot of salted water until cooked and soft.
- Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saute pan brown meat over medium high heat, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms and celery and sauté on medium heat about 6 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour, frozen vegetables, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, cooked meat and mix well. Simmer on low about 8-10 minutes.
- Spread the meat on the bottom of casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the broiler 1 to 2 minutes until the potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool 5 minutes before serving.