BRISTOL – CCRPA is reporting The Forestville Project, which is a comprehensive plan for the village, is approaching completion. The mission of the project is, “To create a pedestrian friendly, mixed-use, and historically based Forestville Village Center that is accessible and safe for all users.”
This project, which has unfolded over the last two years in conjunction with community groups and members, is slated to go to the Bristol Planning Commission,Forestville Village Association and the general public for final review.
Forestville was the hunting grounds of the Tunxis tribe until the 19th century. The village was established in 1833 and named Forestville for its wooded surroundings. Forestville today has grown into a mini-metropolis of suburban neighborhoods and local businesses. The official boundaries of Forestville are the Plainville town line, the Southington town line, Middle Street, west of properties on the west side of King Street (including both Kingswood Drive and Burnside Drive and properties thereof), south of properties on the south side of Louisiana Avenue, west of properties on the west side of Brook Street north of Louisiana Avenue, and up to Farmington Avenue.
Within the Forestville area, there are two subsections known as East Bristol and the Stafford District. Those subsections are similar to Plantsville, Connecticut’s Marion and Milldale. Forestville village has a library (Manross), post office, meeting hall, community group (Forestville Village Association), fire station, cemetery, funeral home, two urban parks (Quinlan Veterans Park and Clock Tower Park), Pequabuck Duck Race, Memorial Day Parade, Summer Concert Night, Pumpkin Festival, and a railroad station (no longer in use). At one time all of Forestville had its own zip code.