2ND ANNUAL WHEEL FUN DAY BICYCLE RIDE AND FESTIVAL ON FATHER’S DAY!
-West Hartford Committee Promotes Safe, Bike-Friendly Streets-
The West Hartford Bicycle Advisory Committee, a town-appointed committee created by the Town of West Hartford, Bike West Hartford, Inc., a CT not-for-profit corporation and sponsor Hartford Healthcare.
WHAT: Host West Hartford’s second Annual Bicycle Festival “WHEEL FUN” Day to celebrate the joys of bicycling and pedestrian-friendly streets. Festivities kick off with a group bicycle ride, Bike Down Main, departing from the Bishops Corner parking lot by Marshalls to ride down Main Street to the West Hartford Town Hall parking lot. Riders ride at their own risk and must wear helmets. This year’s event promises to bigger and even better with exciting family activities throughout the day including:
- Live music
- Performances by Valentine the Clown and a unicycling juggler
- High Wheel Vintage bike demonstration
- Programs for kids including world champion BMX stunt rider, bicycle decorating station sponsored by the Greater Hartford YMCA, safety classes, helmet fittings, Big Wheel time trials & face painting
- Booths sponsored by a range of businesses, non-profit groups, outdoor exercise activities, outdoor spinning classes, and health and wellness programs provided by local wellness organizations
- Programs for adults, such as bicycle maintenance and helmet fittings
- Two in-town bicycle rides with cue sheets for various skill levels
- Food booth at the start of the Bishops Corner Bike Down Main event and at the Town Hall parking lot site, including Pinkberry, Get Toasted and others
- Professional Photographer Mike Marques will take FREE Father’s Day photographs
- Safe bicycle parking area
WHEN: Sunday, June 15
9:30 a.m. Bike ride down Main St.
10:00 a.m. Festival Opens
11:00 a.m. Chris Poulus, BMX World Champion Stunt Rider will perform
Noon to 12:30 Bike/Walk CT will demonstrate bicycle safety tips
12:45 to 1:15 Fashion show of bicycling apparel and gear, sponsored by REI, Lulu Lemon and Bloomfield Bike
2:00 to 2:30 Raffle
3:00 Close festival with a guided four-mile family friendly ride in West Hartford
WHERE: Bishops Corner parking lotto begin Bike Down Main bike ride ending at West Hartford Town Hall Parking Lot at 50 South Main Street in West Hartford.
WHY: To enjoy a day of cycling and support the group’s grass roots effort to change the culture and make West Hartford more bicycle-friendly with a detailed, long-term transportation plan for the town. Bicycling improves health, lowers traffic congestion and pollution, and leads to more foot traffic for local businesses. Nationwide studies show that bicycle-friendly towns see an increase in home values.
Last year’s event involved more than 30 vendors. For information on becoming a sponsor or vendor, please e-mail Mary Collins at WheelFun@bikewesthartford.org. For more information about the West Hartford Bicycle Advisory Committee and Bike West Hartford, Inc., please visit www.bikewesthartford.org or our Facebook page at MakeWestHartfordBicycleFriendly.